I was thinking of a quote that reads, “that which was true long ago, still is” (unfortunately I couldn’t find the source). But, the premise is that truth has no expiry date. Take Napoleon Hill’s massively successful book Think and Grow Rich. He published it in 1937.
The book is a great read and I highly recommend you do so. In it there are many gems, but 1 in particular stands out. And it doesn’t just apply to money.
He notes 6 steps in achieving your financial goals. But, if you replace “money” with almost any other achievement, goal or desire the steps are universally applicable. I’ve replaced it here with running a successful business.
- First. Fix in your mind the exact business you desire. It is not sufficient merely to say “I want a successful business.” Be definite as to the type and scope of business.
- Second. Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the business you desire. (There is no such reality as “something for nothing.”)
- Third. Establish a definite date when you intend to have the business success you desire.
- Fourth. Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action.
- Fifth. Write out a clear, concise statement of the scope and level of business success you intend to acquire, name the time limit for its acquisition, state what you intend to give in return for the business success, and describe clearly the plan through which you intend to achieve it.
- Sixth. Read your written statement aloud, twice daily, once just before retiring at night, and once after arising in the morning. AS YOU READ, SEE AND FEEL AND BELIEVE YOURSELF ALREADY IN POSSESSION OF THE BUSINESS SUCCESS.
If you were to compare this to books on self improvement, balance, productivity, success, financial freedom, etc they almost all have the same or very similar steps. They all speak about clarity of focus, constantly reminding yourself of the path you chose and consistently bringing your thoughts and actions back to the purpose you defined.
I took these 6 steps and applied them to my own business and I found it remarkably clear and relevant to do so. This does not, by any means, make it simpler. But it does make it clearer. And clarity of focus and goals is probably the most critical part of a Perfect Day, balance and productivity.
Our paths are never straight. And it’s only through clarity of focus and purpose that we can stand out, break out and achieve what we set out to do.
Subscribe and you’ll get updates of new posts and notes to make your own Perfect Day even more powerful. And, you will be an amazing superstar!